Sunday 30 October 2011

i'm calling this gnocchi


...although I doubt any true blue Italian will acknowledge it as such. From what I have seen and read, gnocchi are dumplings made from potato or ricotta and flour which are boiled and served with a pasta sauce. Gnocchi usually are in tiny oblong shapes and slightly flattened with a fork. However, I have seen many gnocchi with the fork imprint ( too time consuming i guess!) They can be considered a type of pasta dish.

What i did was to use pumpkin and besan flour instead. And rather than the rectangular oblong shape, i formed ballls. Muatard and sage is a pretty common flavour pairing that works so I used that for the sauce.

The 1st time I made this recipe, which was sort of a create as you go thingy, I quickly note down the quantities I used as the combination absolutely work. ( 1st thought after taking a bite: "must make again"). And went I wanted to make it again, I just could not locate where I wrote it down! I thought all was lost until I found it hidden in a mess of red inked scribbles in one of my notebook. I don' t usually follow recipes closely, especially savory ones, bot the texture of this gnocchi like thingy was totally spot on and hence I knew I needed to be have more precise measurements.


the dumpling was:
300g pumpkin, microwave/steamed/boiled
40g besan flour, sifted
-combine all and chill foe easier handlling
-bring a pot of water to a rolliing boil,
-use a teaspoon to scoop out mixture and form ball shapes before boiling them in the water
-they are done when they float to the surface.

the sauce was:
about 1.5 -2 tbsp mustard
about 10 sage leaves, chiffoned
about 2tsp apple cider vinergar
some of the leftover boiling liquid
-combine all the above over heat and keep stirring till slighlt reduced
-toss in the dumplings, reduce heat, and stir occasionally till sauce reach resired thickness ( careful not to destroy the dumpling!)




gnocchi eaten alongsidesmoked fish with herby vegetables plus a white bean blondie cake

No comments:

Post a Comment