Tuesday 29 November 2011

sweet and sour, not the chinese stir fry

As I opened the oven, the smell of tangy lemon essence infused the air. I was excited because I did not use any lemon extract or essence in this baking endeavour, yet the lemonyness was undeniably present.

I had some concerns when I was making these awesome lemon bars. When I was pressing the base into the pan, I thought there would not be crust to cover the pan base and that I would end up a a cracker thin crust. I was also worried that the topping was too thin, resulting in nothing more than a thin layer of lemon glaze on top. and then I worried if the bars were going to be too swee when I added the sweetener, and then I worried they would be too sour as I added the lemon juice (squeezing all that lemon juice sure does "eat" your hands!). What a worrying-filled baking experience. There is always some degree of worrying going on when one bake, especially when baking a brand new creation. But man, this was double the normal amount of worrying.

Thankfully, my concerns were all unfounded.

  • the crust was of the right thickness
  • the topping was much more than just a glaze
  • the topping was a balanced combination of sweet and sourness

1stly, make the base:
1/2 cup besan flour (46g)
1/4 cup flour (33g atta)
3 tbsp equivalent sugar (stevia)
1/4 cup equivalent butter (pureed pumpkin)
-combine flours and sugar
-add butter (pumpkin) in portions and mix till all ingredients are combined
-press into a lined 8x8 pan and bake at 180degreeC-10-15 mins
-notes: i did not use up all the pumpkin; added a little bit of water

topping:1/3 cup sugar (sweetener)2 egg white
1 yolk (pumpkin puree-abt 2 yolks amount)
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice (32g)
baking powder
-beat all ingredients together till thoroughly combined ( will be somewhat foamy)
-pour onto par-baked crust and bake 20 minutes
-notes: when out of the oven, the top may be a little hard/crunchy to the touch; it will soften as it cools)


these lemon bars are freaking awesome! I ate the entire pan after dinner. ( except for a tiny weeny bit which my dad stole. haha)

No comments:

Post a Comment