Wednesday 23 November 2011

don't get flat no more

A tub of cool whip here cost around the region of $10. So I was real pleased when I discovered I could make my own cool whip for a fraction of the cost. All I needed was:

skim milk (about 200-250ml) + 0.5-1 tsp (xanthan gum)
-use a mixer and go on high for about 4-8 minutes there about.
-mixture will get foamy first before eventually reaching a cool whip texture
-this makes s much, like 5 cups or more!

As I whip the milk into its infancy minutes, I wondered if it was going to work or is this all just wishful thinking on my part, the mixturue just look real...foamy. But patience was the name of the game. Half way through, the foamy milk showed serious signs of evolving into cool whip.
However, my glee was short-lived. This cool whip copycat has a life span of approximation 2 hours. Beyond 2 hours, it starts to deflate and return to foam-like texture. This sort of ruined a no bake cool whip cheesecake I tried to make a day in advance. Taste was not affected, but it kind of cause the cake to have a odd gooeyish texture.

BUT, my said disappointment was well, short - lived. I saw on another site that one could stabalise whip cream with the use of gelatin. Light bulb moment: I have fake cool whip, which is like whip cream, I have agar, which is like gelatin. Maybe I could do the same. So I did, and.......it worked! STabalised long lasting homemade Cool Whip! Heck Yeah! I have used it for like a bizillion things, like:
Topped it on crustless pumpkin pie







stir it in to some proats( makes oats 10x yummier!)







added rosewater and use it in a (failed) meringue roulade






stir in some pumpkin and you get pumpkin mousse
Add Image
Add Video
Remove formatting from selection






make a no bake cheesecake









or just top it with some cereal!( used the leftover from the pumpkin pie)





No comments:

Post a Comment