Sunday 6 November 2011

Seitan, I believe I like you/ beans, you don't need a soak

I never thought I could go vegetarian for an entire day. I love my animal products way too much. Then I learnt about something called seitan. Then i figured out how simple it was to make your own seitan. Then I realised how cheap it would cost. Then I experimented going vegetarian for a day.Everything went well.

This is not to say I will be converting to a vegetarian lifestyle. I doubt I would ever give up seafood, but I could occasionally throw in a few vegetarian days a month to help save me some moolah.

AND I MANAGED to cook dried beans without soaking! Dried beans are so much cheaper than canned, but I was often deterred by the need to soak the beans in advance. I surfed the web to see if anyone had sucess cooking beans without soaking and the paupered chef did. So it was not impossible, I thought. I followed the paupered chef method to a tee.The 75 minutes wait was filled with anxiety and trepidation. are the beans really going to get cooked? i really really hope this works out! I really really wanna try some seitan chilli, and I don'y want to compromise the recipe!
...75 minutes later, I remove the pot of beans from the oven, uncover the pot, took a fork and pierced through a single kidney bean. It was cooked. hooray!

With these two culinary discoveries, I concocted a pot of chili-like deliciousness.


The basic seitan recipe is equal voume of vital wheat gluten and liquid plus your seasining if choice. Over here i used: 60g vital wheat gluten + 1/2 cup water( approx, didn't really measure). I seasoned with vegemite, nutritional yeast( about 8g), sage, rosemary, salt. Combine everything . You could then choose to bake, steam or boil it as a whole piece of seitan or tear them up into strips. I boiled the entire piece in some water and a bay leaf. most recipe I saw boil the seitan for l=about 30 minutes but I did less as they were to be stewed again in my chili.


for the beans: I used 90g dried beans, brought to a boil on the stove-top before transferring to the oven for 75 inutes at 125degreeC.

and for the final product, I first boiled some sweet potatoes(abot 170g) in the leftover water from the seitan. Once they are quite soft, i poured away some of the water, added the kidney beans. I then chopped (ok, tore) the seitan I made and toss in as well. Add seasoning (chili powder, oregano). simmer simmer simmer away. EAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment