Monday 12 December 2011

open sesame, its all yours


How to savour this pumpkin dish to the max.
  1. remove the pumpkin cap, smell the aroma that escapes the interior of the stuffed pumpkin
  2. lick the base of the cap so you get a taste of the stuffed stew, eat the cap
  3. slide your spoon into the stuffed filling, scrapping the sides of the pumpkin and stirring it into the stuffed stew
  4. scoop out the filling,
  5. spoon in mouth, eat and partake in a succulent experience
  6. finish off the meal by tearing and eating the stew soaked pumpkin skin. hands are welcome

For the stuffing, i used chayotes, onions and seitan with sage, rosemary and thyme which I cooked over the stove just a little since they get cooked again in the oven. I wonder If I could skip this step in future.
Next, I prepared the pumpkin by carving out the top into a cap and then scrapping out the seeds with a spoon.
Following that, I spooned the filling into the hollowed pumpkin and added some of the liquid used to cook the seitan.
Finally, I replaced the cap and prop the whole thing in the oven at 200degreeC for about 30mins and then 170degreeC for about 15mins. ( this works for about a 800-900g pumpkin). I tested by using finger to press on the pumpkin to see if its soft. Once it was soft, then I lowered the temperature.

A truly heartwarming satisfying dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment