Friday 30 September 2011

Rice Pudding...surprisingly easy


My first time making rice pudding. There are like a gazillion rice pudding out there. I wanted to make one with no eggs or cornstarch or any external binder/thickener. At the same time, I was worried that the pudding would not thicken up. It did seem like the case at when I can simmering it. the pudding just looked like rice in milk. However, my worries was unfounded. Allowing it to cool in the fridge, it thickened up considerably.

I saw many recipes using leftover rice, but it made me wonder if overnight rice may make the pudding less creamy since the rice have already absorbed all the liquid and it would just be rice in milk too. So I made the pudding from scratch.

I found that the basic ratio of dry rice:milk:sweetener was 40g:250ml:1 tbsp equivalent gave me the consistency I want. definately not too liquid nor overly dense. What I did was:

40g raw brown rice
250ml almond milk unsweetened
1 tbsp sugar equivalent of stevia powder
-cook the rice in 1/2 cup of water, until about 90% of the water has been absorbed
-pour in the almond milk and add the sweetener. stir
-bring to boil before allowing to simmer
-stir frequently
-when liquid has reduce some, remove from heat. do noit worry if mixture looks liquidish, it will thicken as it cools
-place in fridge until ready to eat
-*I sprinkled some salt before eating to reduce a some of the sweetness

This makes a serving of rice pudding, which is equivalent to a wine glass portion. Which isn't much, i could have demolish 10xx the amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment